Cook your steak like a chef!
We're missing our sister restaurant, The Cowshed, being open next door, so we've asked our chefs for their top tips on cooking the perfect steak.
This guide will cook your steak medium rare.
- Heat a heavy set pan or griddle to very high heat
- Season the steak generously with fine sea salt on both sides (refrain from using pepper as it will burn, you can save that until the end)
- Add a little vegetable or rapeseed oil to coat the bottom of the pan and bring to almost smoke point (when the oil is very hot)
- Add your steak and sear till a consistent golden brown crust forms (2 minutes)
- Turn the meat over and do the same for 1 minute, then add a generous knob of butter, a sprig of thyme and piece of crushed garlic and baste the steak for a further minute (if you're dairy free or prefer not to add the butter, don't worry, your steak will still be delicious!)
- Rest the steak for as long as it has been cooked in a warm place or on a warm plate
- Season again with flaky sea salt, a little black pepper and serve. We're having ours with chunky chips, Cowshed green peppercorn sauce and a green salad.